Drug Addiction Treatment, Rehabilitation and after care
GMi runs a 30 bed Drug Dependence /Addiction Treatment and Rehabilitation facility at the Centre for Goodworks. The Centre for Goodworks is the treatment and rehabilitation facility of the Goodworker Ministry International (GMi)
Available services include
a. Pre-Admission Intervention: Our interventionists meet with prospective clients and/or their family in order to prepare both the client and family for treatment, guide through any questions, concerns or essential information about the facility and treatment process. At this stage, any objections to treatment are identified and worked through in order to get the client to admit to the problem and agree to treatment as this is essential to the efficacy of treatment. This meeting may be physical, or over the phone as the situation may demand.
b. Pre-admission Counselling: At the point of Admission and after client’s conviction to start treatment has been ascertained, our counsellors will interact with the client in order to understand more about the client and the substance abuse disorder, so that we can ensure we are able to work out the best course of treatment per client. Clients would also be briefed about the treatment process and they would be encouraged to set personal goals / expectations which would be met in the course of treatment.
c. Detoxification: Detoxification is the process of cleansing the body of the harmful toxins found in drugs. At our facility, detoxification is medically assisted and supervised for clients duration depends on the nature of the clients dryg abuse disorder such as types of drugs used, level of use , duration of use etc
d. Abstinence-based treatments: This is our approach to treatment. These are treatment programs that discourage and completely prohibit the use of psychoactive drugs once treatment has commenced. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) describes total abstinence from drugs as the “safest approach for those with substance use disorders” and this is the approach adopted by our facility. Clients would undergo varying treatment procedures that include Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Psychotherapy etc.
e. Mutual help and support groups: As a part of our abstinence-based treatments, there will be mutual help groups comprising members who share the same problem and voluntarily support one another in the recovery from that problem by providing social, emotional, and informational support. Mutual help and support groups aid recovery and reduce the risks of relapse.
f. Halfway Home Services: Our facility also serves as halfway homes for people undergoing rehabilitation so they can learn (or relearn) the necessary skills to re-integrate into society and better support and care for themselves.
g. Relevant Mental Health services: Our medical professionals are well-equipped and available to treat drug-induced mental health problems and other co-morbidities.
h. Skills acquisition and Empowerment: When necessary we provide vocational trainings and work skill acquisitions in other to empower the clients so that at discharge, they can be better re-integrated into the society.
i. Family counselling and support services: Substance use disorder or drug dependency is a health challenge that not only affects the drug user, but one that also takes its toll on the family and other persons related to the user. Our facility provides counselling and supportive therapy for this category of people; helping them to better understand and cope with the situation
j. Follow up, After Care and Relapse Prevention: Recovery from substance abuse disorder doesn’t stop when a treatment period ends and aftercare has become a crucial part of drug treatment. This part of recovery involves creating a plan to stay sober, which includes housing arrangements, emergency contacts for support, mutual support group meetings, counseling sessions, and doctors’ appointments. Research has shown that when people take advantage of aftercare services, their rates of relapse decrease. Each client’s aftercare plan would be created by our relevant professionals and would be made to meet the needs of each client.
h. Relapse Management: In the absence of proper follow-up and aftercare for treated and rehabilitated drug users, it is possible for relapse to occur. Relapse may occur, weeks, months or even years after successful treatment. At our facility, we also cater to people who have previously undergone treatment but have now suffered a relapse.
The treatment cycle
Most individuals will spend a recommended minimum period of 3 months or 90days and up to 6 months or 180 days as the case demands.
The Centre runs two types of program as follows
a. Full fee-paying treatment program and
b. Philanthropic/Donor supported treatment program.
- The Fee-Paying Treatment Program
This is for clients who have been brought in for treatment by their family or who have been referred from an organization (e.g. schools, law enforcement , hospitals etc.). This category of clients is required to pay for all services that would be provided by the facility.
- Philanthropic/Donor supported treatment program.
This is for clients who have been identified and selected in the course of the GMi street outreaches, an effort to encourage Street Living Drug Dependent persons /Addicts to quit drug use and embrace a new life free from drugs by voluntarily entering our treatment program. This program process is tagged REWIND an acronym for Reach Win and Develop, or clients who arein dire need of treatment but are unable to afford the treatment fees. Claims of clients who cannot afford treatment will be investigated and verified before admission is granted for supported treatment.
We continue to make request for Donations and Support from Donor Organisations and Phillantropists in order for us to help families or individuals who are not able to pay for their much-needed treatment and rehabilitation. To make your donations towards this cause, please click here
Treatment Centre Weekly/daily activities
Our treatment program lay emphasis on a spiritually lively atmosphere, nutritious food, vitamin regimens, physical and mental exercises, life skills, vocational development and above all a life of prayer and dedication to God in achieving a new life free from drugs. The clients will be required to participate in different activities throughout the day that will enable them to engage their brain, mind and hands. Such activities include;
- Devotional Services: Clients, trainers and counselors come together every morning to have a session of prayer and thanksgiving before proceeding with the day’s activities
- Daily Motivational Sessions and Life Skills Development
Clients are made to go through a daily Motivation and Life skills development sessions to boost confidence, promote coping skills with the aim of achieving a refocusing and life reorientation. Goal setting This is typically a very interactive practically focused session with seasoned life coaches
- Vocational and Work Skills Development Activities: This is dependent on the interest of the client. Duration for vocational training also depends on the client and the trainer.
- Individual therapy/Counseling Sessions: This is an individual session with the therapist where client’s progress and other indices are assessed.
- Sports and other Physical exercise
For physical and mental alertness indoor games and daily physical exercises are an essential part of the treatment program at GMi. Structured aerobic and anaerobic exercises have been known to assist in detoxification, drug craving reduction and general improvement in wellbeing of individuals in treatment.
- Group therapy Session: This involves clients forming therapy groups comprising of at most eight (8) individuals depending on their diagnosis and progress levels. This takes place throughout the period of the client’s admission at the Centre. In these sessions, clients are encouraged to share their experiences, resolves, progress and challenges, adaptation skills amongst other things. This enables them learn from each other and motivate each other.
- Recess and Leisure: This includes lunch time and quiet time where clients are free from all formal activities.
- Evaluation: Client will be subjected to evaluation by their trainer and appropriate professionals. Progress made will be recorded and followed up accordingly. This is to measure the level of progress made by the clients.
- Feedback will also be given by the parent /guardian/ treatment supporters of the client. Clients will also be expected to give feedback on activities and programs in order to ascertain effectiveness of treatment procedures. Incentives or rewards will also be awarded to clients who are making progress.
- Visiting days: family and friends are encouraged to visit the clients on specified days
As a part of our intensive rehabilitation procedure, weprovide a number of vocational trainings to suit the interest, vision and personality of the client. Examples include as follows
- Arts and Craft
- Music and Dance
- Information and Communication Technology (ICTs)
- Solar and other renewable energy works
- Furniture making
- Cosmetology, Soap making, Hand sanitizers etc
- Others as applicable
- Clients should be medically Stable (should not require 24-hour medically care)
- Any medication required for client’s detoxification and treatment with us will be supplied by our OWN doctor and Pharmacy
- Clients are required to come in with the following items: comfortable Clothing (4), Trainers, Pajamas (2), Shoes (2), Slippers (1), Toiletries, Towel (2), Bed sheets (2) and (1) Duvet (Bed Cover)
- Clients are allowed to come with a SMALL Amount of cash for personal extra treats however such will be kept with the care team
- Clients will be provided with a schedule containing activities they will be involved on a weekly basis. These schedules and activities will be tailored to suit each patient’s progress and recovery and will be subject to adjustments by the appropriate authorities.
- No mobile phones allowed. Clients would be allowed to make use of facility’s phones when necessary.
Confidentiality and privacy of client are highly guaranteed
For further information or enquiries, please contact us on 08023271294
- ADMISSION / TREATMENT FEES
At GMI, we pride ourselves in providing premium services at affordable rates. Please find below a breakdown of our charges
- Registration 10,000 Naira (to be paid once)
- Treatment and feeding 300,000 Naira (monthly)
Recommended minimum treatment duration is 3 months or 90days and can be up to 6 months or 180 days however the duration of admission will be determined by the patient’s recovery progress as assessed by our professionals and/or the wishes of the patient’s family. Payment will be on a monthly or quarterly basis, depending on the client’s duration of stay.
Please Note: Deposit Payments are not fully refundable
WE ACCEPT REFERRALS FROM THESE SOURCES:
- Physicians and medical personnel
- Hospital discharge planners or social workers
- Clinical neuropsychologists
- Family members
- Government agencies
- Criminal justice system and law enforcement officers
We have a comprehensive team of professionals from different fields that work together to deliver the best services and provide the best care for our clients. The GMI team includes:
- Interventionists and Counsellors
- Social workers/psychotherapist
- Fitness Professional
- Domestic staff